Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Week of October 1

The week started out with a bang. Literally. I was enjoying a fantastic Tuesday morning ride after a terrible ride on Monday due to a flat tire. Fifteen miles from home. Whats's that thing about Murphy's Law? Oh, yeah, everything that can go wrong will go wrong. One moment I am on my bike on Loop 360 having a great ride and the next thing I know I am waking up in a hospital after surgery. The news was not what I wanted to hear: I had just come out of surgery to repair my broken neck.  Additionally, I had copious amounts of road rash, two broken ribs and I was hooked up to a ventilator. I felt broken, worthless, crushed and stupid. I know that road is dangerous but I rode it anyway never thinking that I would be the one to get hurt.


But through all this I have learned how much my friends and family truly do love me. "Cue the tears." My childhood friends, distant relatives, past and current teachers and my many new friends at UT have all shown their love through cards, gifts, visits, Facebook and email. That's made me feel especially loved, treasured and valued. I sincerely admire their devotion, generosity and well wishes.

1 comment: