Sunday, October 13, 2013

Kate Does TIRR: Volume 1, Edition 1

Hellooooooo Everybody!!! That's a "Despicable Me" reference in case you missed it.

Since I am no longer in college I have decided to repurpose my World Lit Blog to a "Kate Does TIRR" blog. But mostly because starting a whole new blog was way beyond the electronic prowess of a quadriplegic cripple and her electronically challenged personal assistant. Just be happy we put pictures in last week's blog. That was a whole ordeal!

The good news: I got moved to a rehab facility in Houston, I got to get out of my bed, I got to eat ice chips, I really like the TIRR staff, I got a neck brace that fits my face proving the rumors true: Kate does have a nose and mouth. (Wow! I'm talking about myself in the third person...weird!) Some sensations are returning to my arms, my left foot, though nowhere near fully restored. I can also move my arms like an erratically dancing monkey, but mostly I look like an idiot. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, or some cliche like that.

The less than stellar parts of my stay so far include all the stupid pre-tests. I've been poked, prodded, manipulated and examined like a lab rat from freshman year. They ask me, "Can you feel this or that?" And I reply, "No Einstein, I'm paralyzed." Looks like somebody needs to go back to medical school. That's what I say in my head. In reality, I lie there doing an Oscar-worthy impersonation of a dead log.

I really miss all of my friends and the medical staff from ICU at Brackenridge. The Respiratory Therapists (RT's) here, though awesome in their own right, aren't Sade or Danielle, ditto the nurses; I really miss Arianne, Jackie and Jennifer.


3 comments:

  1. Kate, Wow, You are so upbeat, We are all saddened by your accident. We pray you continue to heal and recovery !! Daniel Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly an amazing person...keep your spirits up and know you are loved!

    ReplyDelete