Thursday, October 17, 2013

Kate Does TIRR Volume 1 Edition 3

Teeth clenched, I focus my every effort on my task. Squeezing my eyes shut I harshly draw in a deep breath as every muscle in my body strains to fulfill my brain's request. Fire rips through my muscles as I tell myself just one more second, keep going. With a grunt I release all of the tension in my body. Opening my eyes I check my progress. I have moved my right arm forward two inches.

Now almost completed with my first week of intense therapy, I can honestly say this is the toughest struggle of my life. Just sitting in my chair exhausts me within minutes. I don't sleep and I feel tired all the time. Seriously, I am taking cat naps like a grandpa. Getting out of bed each morning is a whole ordeal. It takes about thirty minutes to get me dressed and into my chair. Of course, by the time I'm in my chair, I am ready to get back to bed.

This week has also been full of lots of fun times. One morning my heart wouldn't stop pounding so I freaked out and made the resident come to see me. Though of course he refused to give me medicine. Another day, after physical therapy where they tried to get me to an almost standing posting by tying me to a board, I completely passed out. When I woke, of course it was the same resident who I made come down for me plenty of times before. He probably thinks I'm a nutcase. After waking up from passing out I found myself surrounded by 10 or 15 people. Apparently the Rapid Response is really rapid after all, which is kind of reassuring knowing that if I start dying all the doctors and respiratory technicians and nurses will rush to my side. Immediately upon waking up I tried to convince the crowd of people staring at me to send me back to ICU. When that failed, I tried for sedatives but of course those leave me awake at night. Losing all pride at this point, I actually asked one of the doctors to punch me really hard and knock me out for the rest of the day. Of course he said no. Stupid Hippocratic Oath!

But on an actually positive note, my room is shaping up quite nicely. Flowers cover every surface  and birthday balloons cling to life along the edges. But one of my most favorite aspects of my room is my photo wall.  Created by Chrystine the wall features pictures of fond memories and selfies of friends with well wishes. I would like to expand this wall and would appreciate any photos you could send.

          My photo wall

Also I got a new trach in my throat that allows me to speak normally. No more Grudge voice. Although last night I sounded like an evil cartoon villain because my lungs were full of nastiness. My mom and I had a good laugh over that one.

7 comments:

  1. Kate - you are looking better every time I see you and I know great things are in your future. Keep fighting, gal, there are legions of us behind you cheering you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kate! You don't know me, but I'm a friend of Chrystine's Mom and I've been following your story through her posts on Facebook. I know you're in rough shape, but it's really nice to see your smiling face looking at that awesome picture wall! What a cool thing to have in your hospital room! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people like that deep sexy voice - could work out for you in Hollywood or something. Well I am kidding mostly of course. I hear that you are getting some movement in your hands - that is so cool and it must mean that some of those nerves are working. I shall visualize your spinal column cells shrinking and normalizing and then waking up and sending out their little electric signals, one by one, until you can sit up, write with your hands, breath unassisted, eat, drink, type on a computer, get around on your own in a sexy wheelchair, punch someone in the face, hold up a book, take care of yourself. At that point then you can plan for full rehab and recovery - walking and all that. Sending you good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate. You don't know me, I'm another friend of Chrystine's Mom but she has been keeping all of us posted on your brave recovery. I have been reading your blog, past and present, and I am sharing this with my girls (9 and 11) so they can understand what it really means to never give up. Keep up the good fight and I will be checking in on you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kate :) I honestly have no idea how you can look so good in that dress. I haven't been writing to you or anything, but I've been keeping track of how you've been doing on an almost daily basis and I have been thinking about you every day. It's fascinating to see how you're improving :) Love you girlie! I'll try to send more pictures your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, my name is Sandra (Muncy) Vines and I grew up with your mom since elementary school. My family and I are praying for you daily. Although we don't know you personally, just from you're postiive writing, I know God (and you) will have yourself back on your bike in no time. Don't give up...with God you can do anything! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have many people you don't know that are reading this and joining you on this journey! Keep up your great attitude - even when the days are long and nights are longer! You quoted that song "Stronger" in an earlier blog - one of my favorite songs! And definitely good for you right now!! You don't me - but there are lots of people reading your blog posts! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete