Monday, September 23, 2013

Best and Worst


The Best and Worst of the Week of September 16

The worst of last week was probably the super dreary, torrential downpour we experienced here in Austin. Though I actually enjoy rain, I wasn't particularly fond of the rivers running down Dean Keaton as my best friend and I tried to make our way back to my dorm from class. Though we had an umbrella, the flimsy cover proved to be of little use to us, for we both were throughly drenched by the time we finished running to Duren. Additionally, the rain completely derailed my Friday ride as I had no desire to get a flat tire (something much more likely in the rain) in the town of Buda (where I was supposed to ride) leaving me stranded twenty miles from campus on a test day. Instead, my forty mile ride became a quick twelve mile spin culminating in me completely freaking out when my bike started making very ominous noises that I thought meant my bike frame had cracked. After slightly freaking out, I went through my day, waiting for the opportunity to be able to take Cevie (my bike) into a bike shop. Thankfully, the creaking was only a minor problem and easily fixable. I felt grumpy, frustrated, and terrified I was going to have to tell my parent I broke my really expensive road bike.

Rule Number 9 from the Velominati (a cyclist's bible)
The best of my past week was yesterday when I had a super busy day. First, the Texas Cycling team rode out to Pflugerville, and I met a lot of other riders I hadn't met previously. I also got to meet one of the women who rides for UT, so that was inspiring and really cool. After the ride, I got back to my dorm and shoved some lunch down my throat and headed back out to the Liberal Arts Council's member retreat at Pease Park. I met the other people on my particular committee and we all were divided into separate "houses" to compete with each other throughout the year. After having a new member meeting, I jumped back on to my bike and rode all the way back to my dorm to quickly change to go eat with my best friend. After another quick meal, we headed over to the Fine Arts Building to watch Jane Eyre for her Emerging Selves signature course for Plan II. The entire day I felt included, purposeful and comforted by the constant activity and knowing what I was doing.

My LAC family's tribal animal: The Sloth.



No comments:

Post a Comment