Sunday, September 8, 2013

Animal Guides

Thought I would start with a little humor.

Well, I have begun my journey to discovering my spirit animal. Today, I tried both Steven Farmer and the Shamanic meditations. Though in the first I was able to experience a couple of animals including a gray wolf and a horse, I plan to try the third meditation and repeat all three in the coming week. 

Note: Google had so many cute images, I am breaking up all my paragraphs with them.


After reading the pages in our course anthology on spirit animals, I think my next attempts at meditation will be better. I think I am over thinking some of the meditation. Is the scene or animals I see something significant or something I am just making happen? I like the advice of Animal Speak by Ted Andrews gives: though I may not succeed at first I should remember that "there is no 'right' path. Be patient with yourself, and learn to tune into your unconscious" (127). I think much of my difficulty stems from my difficulty to believe in this whole concept. Like Andrews writes, I am a product of modern society where "there is a tendency to scoff at such possibilities" (118). 

This is super cute!


Though I am having trouble with my attempts to reconnect and "reawaken [my] lost belief in magic, dreams, and possibilities," after reading the real purpose and power of spirit animals, I am very interested. I like the idea that I have a responsibility as part of this world to know about the environment in which I reside (117).  These spirit animals can help us in our lives and may come and go as we need them. Like Gerald Vizenor said, "native totems are personal associations and necessary metaphors." I think the idea that these power animals can come aid us in our times of need or signal something to come is truly fascinating. These animals can "help us to recognize our own innate abilities. They help empower us and protect us. Their energies can be used to help heal, inspire, and grow" (118).




Another problem I think I may face in finding my spirit animal is my preconceived idea of what I would like my spirit animals to be. I think being a red fox would be really cool and suit my personality well, and I think that belief may color my meditation. I tried the meditation before reading, so hopefully now that I understand the idea that "the animal chooses the person not the other way around," this will not play a role in my future attempts (120). I think this problem with letting ego go and realizing not everyone is an eagle or a bear is a tough hurdle to overcome. However, like Andrews wrote, every animal is special in its own way and has its own power. "You will find your success in the animal that comes to you," not the one you arbitrarily pick because it's the king of the jungle.



Another part of the reading I found particularly interesting in the fact that entire groups can have a common totem. At the University of Texas, this totem is obviously the longhorn. I think the longhorn plays a significant role in uniting us all together. Though we all come from different places and backgrounds, we are all longhorns. The hand sign is the outward projection of this truth. The longhorn "becomes a guide to making the relationship stronger and more productive" (121). I think this is exactly the role the longhorn serves. At sporting events we all unite in our longhorn burnt orange and cheer for our fellow longhorns. In classes, though we may not know everyone's name, we know we all belong to the university and thus are connected to each other.



The reading on the spirit guides really interested me (as evidenced by the multitude of quotes...sorry guys writing after me). I am looking forward to discovering my spirit animal in the coming days!



No comments:

Post a Comment