Monday, September 16, 2013

Best and Worst

Week of September 9

Hi, my name is Kate and I'm addicted to cycling (in case you haven't already gotten that by now). This past week, I didn't ride my bike for four straight days due to illness. Since I had that terrible hacking cough and could hardly breathe through my nose, I felt it best to take a week off. However, even though I logically knew that I needed the extra sleep and relaxation to get better, this knowledge in no way made my withdrawal from riding any less painful. During these four days I felt anxious, lazy, and almost depressed though that may be too strong a word for the longing I felt to be back on my bike.

Me without my bike is like this kid without his video games.

The best part of my week was getting to see Judy Smith speak on campus. For those who don't know, Judy Smith is the real life inspiration for the ABC drama Scandal (AKA the best show ever). She gave three pieces of advice for all of us aspiring longhorns. Though her three pieces of advice have certainly been said before, they are all very important and are cliche for a reason: they're true. First she told us to stay true to ourselves, for there is much power in staying true to yourself and following your own path. Second, be prepared for whatever life may throw your way. From a new club position to an opportunity to study abroad in Russia, one should always be prepared to embrace life's many opportunities. Lastly, morals and values are important. These don't have to be from religion or from your parents, but you should have your own set of morals and values and stick to them.

Besides giving us good advice, Ms. Smith was very approachable and down to earth. She shared with us some of her past stories and was very self-deprecating. She laughed with us and interacted with the audience. When one boy tried to take a sneaky selfie with Ms. Smith in the background, she called him out on it and told him to come around and take a real picture with her. She made everyone feel comfortable and more importantly, made us all laugh numerous times. Her presentation was engaging and her demeanor seemed to draw everyone in, wanting to hear all she had to say. At the end of the event, many people rushed over to get a picture with her, Erika and myself included. Though the picture line was very long and many of the event's organizers tried to just make us take one big group picture, Ms Smith patiently insisted that we all have our chance to get a picture with her. In short, she was incredible. Attending this event inspired me, filled me with joy, and thrilled me at the opportunity to meet one of my idols.

Erika and I with Judy Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment